Website map

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Not because we HAVE to, but because we WANT to

Yesterday, Tad R. Callister came to speak at our last devotional of the semester. I was SO excited to hear him speak because he wrote one of my favorite books about the Atonement ever! (I've mentioned it in previous posts, I believe... The Infinite Atonement). I was very glad for the opportunity to hear him.

The topic he spoke on was integrity, and I'd like to share some of the points I picked up from his message:

The 7 Principles of Integrity:
1. Integrity is the foundation of our character and all other virtues.
2. It doesn't mean just doing that which is legal, but doing that which is moral and Christlike.
3. A person with integrity makes decisions based on eternal implications.
4. Disclosing the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
5. Integrity knows no alibis or excuses
6. To have integrity, we should keep to our commitments even when it's inconvenient to do so.
7. Integrity is not governed by the presence of others: it's internally, not externally, driven.

Some quotes:
"Choose the right, not merely because God desires it, but because our character demands it."
"[Integrity] is not a temporary change of behavior... it is a permanent change of nature."
"...men and women of integrity are in desperate demand but in short supply"

I wish I could hear him give a discourse about the Atonement in person. It's one thing to read about it, and another thing to hear someone talk about it. And even better to actually discuss it with someone who understands it on a deeper level. What I wouldn't give to talk with an Apostle of the Lord about a topic like that...

Gotta love BYU... I've had the chance to listen to some pretty cool people here.

"May we all become men and women of integrity, not because we have to, but because we want to."

No comments:

Post a Comment