Website map

Friday, September 14, 2012

Taking a Leap of Faith

Have you ever had to do something that made your heart stop?

I went with the Hubs to his Information Systems Opening Social last night. They were holding the event at the CLAS Ropes Course in Provo. They have some fun stuff there... a rock wall, a zip line, canoes... but I decided to go for the more adrenaline-inducing activities.

Giant swing? No problem!
This is not the exact swing I went on, but it's similar. Same concept.

They hoist you high in the air and then let you go!
Yeah. The swing I had no problem with.

It was the "Leap of Faith" that I had problems with.

For those of you not familiar with high ropes courses, the leap of faith involves climbing onto a platform or small pole high in the air and then jumping from that into empty space to try to grab a ring, a bar, or hit a small ball dangling from a rope.

Like this. A wild hurtle through the air.
(Once again, this is not the exact leap of faith I went off of. It was too dark to take pictures of it while I was there, so...)

As I was climbing up the pole, I thought... no problem! This won't be that bad!
And then I got to the top of the platform.

I can't do this!

After a minute or two of just standing there shaking my head while the people below encouraged me, I just hopped off. A small hop, because I was too scared to leap forward into nothingness.

Wait... That wasn't so bad!

I was determined not to let this obstacle beat me so easily.
So, back up the pole I climbed.

This time, I jumped.

I didn't leap far enough to grab the ring, but I still jumped forward into empty space.
Truth be told, I actually enjoy the feeling of beating that fear and having that small adrenaline rush.
Feeling the air whoosh around me as I jump, and the heart-stopping moment right before my safety line catches me.

Back up the pole I went, for a third time.
This time, I actually tried for the loop.
Missed it by inches.
Even though I didn't grab it, I am proud of myself.

I went from wanting to climb back down the pole, to hopping off the platform, to leaping through space.
Quite the progress.

I feel like actual, real-life faith is blind like that sometimes.
You know deep down that you have a Life Line attached to you. That Line won't let you fall. And yet... you're still scared to take that leap of faith. The fear and doubt in your mind make you forget the Life Line is even there.
You have to push past that fear, trust the Life Line, and take the leap. Only then can your faith become stronger. Only then can you reach your potential. When you take the leap, the blessings pour out.

Have you ever had to do something that scared you?
Something you thought you couldn't do?

post signature

10 comments:

  1. I think I might have peed my pants doing that. Good for you! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing! I can't even imagine getting the courage to climb up there in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of or seen such a thing but it looks very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post. Lately I have felt as if I'll never be able to grab onto the "ring"...and honestly have given a lot of thought of just ceasing to keep climbing up and trying. I swear this is exactly what I needed to hear today, so thank you for writing this.

    Whitney
    Whitneyhomer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome and terrifying all at the same time!!! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, wow, I don't think I would have even tried that. My husband always wants to do the giant swing thing when we're at amusement parks, but I hate the falling feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary!!! Hi there! I found you on the Blog Hop and am now a new follower. I'd love a follow back at sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com and on Pinterest. I follow back all my Pinterest followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ropes courses scare me! you are so brave. new follower (:

    xo, b.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty sure I wold have peed myself doing this. I have the utmost respect for you.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Goodness that does look very frighting. I did something similar last year, We went camping and hiked to a beautiful waterfall. I jumped off a high cliff into a river/pool of water. It was so scary but I made myself do it because I am generally very scared to do things like that. I felt so liberated after, and that memory of me taking a leap of faith carried me through the whole of 2011. Wonderful post on Faith.

    Blessings from Catriona @ http://catsimpressions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete