Website map

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Why are they called "Dog Days" anyways?

Sometimes, I love "the dog days" of summer. And other times I hate them. It just gets so hot during July and August! Who came up with that name anyways? There is nothing dog-ish about the hottest days of the year. I'm almost too lazy to go look it up, but my curiosity is getting the better of me... (I'll put my findings at the end of this post, if you're interested.)

The dog days remind me that summer is reaching it's pinnacle, and we will be slipping into wonderfully amazing fall weather in no time at all. Summer classes are over halfway done. My play closes tonight. We'll be visiting California in a few weeks. July will be a thing of the past in just a couple of days. And now I can look back at my summer and marvel that it's already almost done - and reminisce on all the weddings, activities, endless play rehearsals, new foods, and late nights.


Despite the fact that I have not spent much time with the hubs this summer (as I've said before... theatre eats my life) it's still been great. My parents and my little bro Johnathon were in town the past couple days, and we got to go inside this beautiful building and do some temple work. It was awesome.



Aside from that... there will be some big changes on this blog very soon :) I'm excited about it, but I just need to find the time to finish everything up. Keep your eye out!

And... enjoy the dog days!

What are the Dog Days? Basically, there is this star called Sirius (known as the "Dog Star"). Back in the time of the Romans, this star would be bright in the sky during the hottest parts of the year. The Romans thought it was so hot because Sirius was angry at them, and so they would sacrifice a big red dog during April in hopes that Sirius wouldn't be as angry and summer wouldn't get so hot. Whoo hoo!


2 comments:

  1. Huh, here I thought it was called the "dog days" because it was so hot that everyone was lulling around panting like an old hound dog. LOL

    I'm pretty jealous that you're sick of summer heat. I live in Wisconsin and we had a blizzard in May and just started seeing hot temps at the beginning of July and now it's been in the 40s for the past four days. I really really WANT some summer heat and am starting to think we got three weeks of hot weather and that's it this year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the link up! Such pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete