Website map

Monday, May 30, 2016

How We "3 Day Weekend"


In my youth, Memorial Day weekend meant boating on Millerton Lake and having a BBQ swim party at my grandparent's house with homemade ice cream and brownies. Nowadays, I don't have access to a private pool or a boat, but we're searching for our own traditions! I need to figure out a good way to incorporate the meaning of the holiday into our shenanigans. When I was 12, my grandfather (a veteran) was interviewed about Memorial Day, and then the reporter asked me - the eldest grandchild - what Memorial Day meant to me... and I replied "Well, it means no school!" (because school lasts nearly halfway into June in California).

Womp womp womp. I want my kids to be a little more aware than that, ya know?


Our weekend included:

- Backyard picnics (hello, corn on the cob and grilled pineapple!!!!! Official summer food!)
- Yard work
- Disney movies
-Visiting the "Provo Beach" for carousel rides (which Nicole did not enjoy, sadly) and Dole Whips (they taste just like the ones at Disneyland!)
- The splash pad
- A Saturday of steak fajitas for breakfast and waffles for dinner
- A fresh summer haircut for me
- And when Mom leaves to get her haircut, apparently it's prime time for Dad and daughter to make a home video. Doug was so excited to show me when I got home haha. I included it at the bottom of the post for family who aren't on social media :)

Oh, and we celebrated 4 years of marriage a few days ago. We kept it low-key this year: Greek food and going to the movies. However, it was the first time I've been to the movie theater since before Nicole was born, I'm pretty sure... so it was a bit of a treat! And I ate waaaaay too much popcorn!

^^^She's just not sure about those horses... and the ride hadn't even started yet!
^^^Daddy helping her leap over ALL the things!!!
 ^^^Had to get a shot of those chubby thighs! They're slowly getting less chubby :(
^^^She almost never lets me hold her hand... but she'll hold Daddy's hand aaaaaall the time.
^^^Really though, you guys. Those legs.......

And we finally found some sandals that don't squish the life out of her chubby feet! Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys. Saltwaters were the most immediately accessible, so that's what we went with.

And lastly, the home video. Doug is very proud of it, you guys. I love this silly, silly family of mine! I can't wait to throw another baby in the mix! Why is pregnancy so loooong?!?!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment