Website map

Monday, September 10, 2012

Huge ol' bag of M&Ms

My ward (aka, church congregation) decided to have an indexing competition during the month of August.

For those of you who don't know what indexing is: You look at images of old death certificates, birth certificates, war registration cards, etc. that have been scanned onto the computer and copy the information from these pictures into a huge online genealogy database.

It's strangely addicting.

Long story short, one M&M was put in a bag for every name that was indexed.
My ward did over 1,100 names.
The person who indexed the most names would take all the M&Ms.

Guess who won.


These will keep my desire for chocolate in check for quite some time!

Chocolate is not the only reward for indexing, though. I think it is wonderful to know that I am helping to preserve the records of thousands and thousands of people. It's family history work at its finest!

On another note... some fall colors are slowly creeping into my home. I am excited to improve my decoration skills! (Let's face it... I am not the most creative person. I hope to change that!)


Hooray for decorating on a newlywed college student budget!

post signature

11 comments:

  1. I love your flower display, so pretty. There's nothing like fresh flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love affordable decorating and I am no longer a newlywed but I feel like I am always going to be a student! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower from the GFC Hop!! Hope you are having a great week!!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Your blog is lovely! I found you through the blog hop! Am a new follower! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back if you like it! xx

    myprettymummy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get why you feel so passionate about recording the names of people in the past. Being from the Caribbean and from such a diversified mix of people... my family cannot even trace back out bloodline after the last 3 generations. So in a way you might be helping someone who one day is looking for a trail of a name you just might have recorded.
    Chocolate ... I feel for some now.
    I am following you and love your blog. Hope you can follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley!
    I'm linking up through the 300 Follower Blog Hop. I feel you about being creative on a newlywed college student budget! My husband and I have been married for 5 years, but we are back to that ourselves because he's going to med school in the Caribbean. I've been DYING to start decorating my teeny little apartment for the fall that doesn't exist down here... :)
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  6. M&M's and history and people's memories all at the same time. Doesn't sound like a bad deal. I'm your newest follower. I hope you will stop by when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. newest follower from the hop! :) can't wait to hear from you!

    xoxo - kylie
    www.kandcamera.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joining the fun list of your followers, thanks to finding you through the Under 300! I think you did a great job arranging that fruit ... maybe you're a bit creative after all! I think so. :)

    Enjoy those M&M's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a new follower from the hop!
    Lisa
    www.akawest.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow lovely flowers! And that indexing sounds like it must have been lots of work, so nice of you to do it.
    Visiting from the 300 blog hop, great to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are those Peanut Butter M&Ms?!?! Even better!! :)

    ReplyDelete