Website map

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Me and my Florescent Diamond Ring

What would your reaction be if you looked down at your wedding ring and saw that some of the diamonds were glowing?

"Are these fake diamonds?"
or...
"Oh, look at that! Sweet!"
or...
*confusion

Well. MY reaction was disbelief. I thought it was a trick of my eyes the first time I saw the two second-biggest diamonds on my ring faintly glowing as the hubs and I were out camping.

That was a couple months ago.
I had all but forgotten about that faint glow.

And then we went black-light mini golfing yesterday.
And this is what I saw.
My diamonds. Unmistakably glowing.

Here's a closer shot.


WEIRD, right??!?!
So I did a bit of research.
It turns out that a fair few diamonds have varying degrees of florescence. In fact, it is a characteristic found in many gemstones, not just diamonds. Sometimes the florescence is strong enough that you can see it, like with my diamonds. Sometimes it is so faint that you don't see it at all.

A blue glow (such as the one in my diamonds) is the most common, but some diamonds glow orange or yellow. Florescence can either raise or lower a diamond's worth. If blue florescence is found in a slightly-yellow diamond, it can cancel the yellow out and make it seem clear and haze-less!

Florescence (or a lack thereof) does not mean that your diamonds aren't real! It is a quality that diamonds obtain during their formation, and it is neither good nor bad, as long as the florescence does not react with the diamond in a way that makes it cloudy and hazy.
My diamonds are nice and clear in most lights, although they tend to look slightly yellow in bad lighting. In white light or sun light or stage lights though, they are nice and sparkly and clear!

Here's another picture, this time with a combo of normal lighting and black lights so you can see the effect.

I'm so glad that both of the two smaller diamonds glow and not just one of them. Or one of them and the middle diamond. That would drive my OCD nuts!!!!!

Have any of you ladies out there ever noticed florescence in any of your diamonds?
I would love to hear about it.
Florescent diamonds are much more common than you think! Even among higher-grade diamonds!


post signature

11 comments:

  1. Huh, that is crazy! I've never heard of that. But pretty cool at the same time ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow never heard of that! Your wedding rings are gorgeous. I am going to see if mine glow tonight when it gets dark!

    Jo
    x

    http://jo-beautyandthebooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! A few on a broach I have do that, but I never knew why. Thanks for the education today :)

    Thanks for linking up with Super Sunday Sync!
    http://dawnsdisaster.blogspot.com/2012/10/super-sunday-sync-4.html
    Hope to see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :O coolll

    Mainlymeghan.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want to find out if my diamonds glow. :) new follower! Stop by and say hello.

    Rachel
    http://www.postcardsfromrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ring is so pretty!

    http://eternal-simplicity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have a nice wedding ring, Ashley! And it definitely suits your finger. With regards to the glow or fluorescence on your ring, it is the natural characteristic of the diamond to change color when they are exposed to ultra-violet light from any light source. This could be the sun or the simple fluorescent inside the room. In smaller number of diamonds, it may appear hazy, milky, oily or with slight cloudy appearance. And you are certainly correct. Although it can affect the pricing and grade of the stone, the quality of the diamond (e.i durability) stays the same.

    Regards,
    Bridget Rossi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I've been following you for a few weeks. Really enjoy your blog! I'm going to have to find a black light now, though...
    Beth @ dorseysin3d.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, isn’t that a lovely discovery? ;) Even in the dark, you can see your ring shining at you. Anyway, some diamonds do have these properties when exposed to ultraviolet light. They absorb the energy radiation and release it again as light.

    Kimmy  Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it’s the first time I’ve seen that happen, a ring that glows when exposed to invisible ultraviolet rays. I’ve looked it up, and the most basic explanation for this is the presence of nitrogen as a trace element of impurity in the diamond. The vacant lattices in the diamond crystal structure are being filled by nitrogen atoms, causing bright fluorescence. The good news about it is that it has no impact on the diamond hardness or durability, so you won’t have to worry at all!


    @Kirby Wampler

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have my own home shellac kit for my nails and I noticed that 2 of my 4 diamonds glow blue under the ultra violet light when curing my nails

    ReplyDelete