Website map

Friday, August 28, 2015

I Guess We're Bookworms


I'm delighted to see Nicole taking a greater interest in books. I melt inside when I see her crawl over, pick one up, and proceed to flip onto her back so she can "read" it while lounging and narrating very loudly to me. I've always loved reading, and I would be ecstatic if Nicole became a little bookworm like me.

I read to Nicole on a daily basis. Sometimes I read to her while she plays or lies in my lap and looks up at me (currently, we're on the 6th Harry Potter book. She just stared and stared at me earlier today as I read about Harry's first potions lesson with Slughorn) and sometimes I snuggle her on my lap so we can read some age-appropriate board books.

You can only handle Brown Bear, Brown Bear so many times, though. I'd much rather practice my British accent and keep Nicole's attention by reading animatedly, but we keep a good variety of books on rotation.

^^^See??? Harry Potter can be fun for an infant! ;)

Of course, with school done and Nicole taking fairly consistent naps (and sleeping 10+ hours straight at night), I have much more time to read things that I want to read! It seems like such a luxury to be able to read what I want without homework in the way! It's like the good old childhood days when I could spend my whole summer reading for hours on end. I blew those summer reading programs out of the water! Earn ALL the free pizza coupons!

Currently, I'm reading In The Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. I started it right before we flew to California, but then I decided that it miiiiiight be better to wait and read a book about an airplane crash after I'm done flying on airplanes for the foreseeable future. So smart, I know.


The top three books on my to-read list are:

  • Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
  • All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (I never read it in high school)
Also, who can give me an opinion on the Divergent series? I haven't read it, or seen the movies, and I want to know if this one is worth my time the next time I feel like reading a "teen fandom series" (as I call them).


I love my little baby bookworm! I can't wait until she's old enough for me to read her the entire Little House on the Prairie series, just like my mom did when I was little! I still remember those nights listening to her read. I'm so glad I get to make memories like that with Nicole.

7 comments:

  1. That first picture is just too darn adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's her go-to reading position, so I figured I'd join her :)

      Delete
  2. Cuteness :) I just got All the Light We Cannot See for my dad. I didn't realize it was popular. Maybe I'll read it after him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of people reading it! I need to make a Barnes and Noble run and pick it up. If I finish it before your dad you can borrow my copy! haha

      Delete
  3. Good example. I need to read to my girls more. Heck, I could spend more time in books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have days where I do really well with reading (both reading to Nicole and reading my own books) but I have just as many days where I'm awful at it.

      Delete