Website map

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Year in Review // 2015


I know that most people post their Year in Review posts during the last few days of December, but hey... I just didn't get around to it :P So while I still want to wish you all a Happy New Year and look forward to all the great things in the future, I want to take a quick moment to look back at the year we just left behind. Indulge me, if you please.

I liked the style I used last year of doing categories rather than month-by-month, so I'll do that again!


FAMILY

We made it through an entire year with a child. That makes me feel like I can do anything! We welcomed one brother home from his 2 year proselyting mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and then 2 months later we sent my other brother off for his mission. We're so proud of both of them. There have been lots of events in the extended family - adoptions and job opportunities and such - but those are not my stories to tell. Just know, dear family members, that we share all your excitement for the great things happening in your lives.


TRAVEL

Doug has made many trips to San Francisco for work, and I was able fly out to join him on one occasion down at a beachfront hotel in Pacifica. It was my first time traveling by myself on an airplane (and with a 7-month-old baby, too!) and I felt rather grown up about it. Nicole and I made another plane trip sans-Doug to Fresno in August for my brother's homecoming. We also made 2 other trips to Fresno in June and December, but for those trips we drove. Nicole was so patient during those long hours in the car. Hopefully she'll always be a good traveler.


LIFESTYLE

Much to Doug's disappointment, I got my across-the-forehead bangs back! Muahaha. And yes, my hairstyle is a lifestyle choice. Bangs take upkeep, people. Doug's company was bought by a bigger company based out of San Francisco, which meant that there were (good) changes made to salary and benefits such as health insurance. I'd say the only bad thing about the change is that Doug had to go to San Fran more often. We really don't like San Fran... it's not our style. Doug also started his last year of his Master's program. We're excited for him to graduate in a few months.


HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

I've been trying all year to get better acquainted with my camera, and it's slowly been paying off. Photography is a very casual hobby, and it's fun. Doug was able to play in a Frisbee tournament, which is good because he misses Frisbee and ice hockey quite a bit. I've started a small collection of indoor plants, and currently have the following: Ficus, Aloe, Red Lion Amaryllis, Angel Wing Rose, Forget-Me-Not, and a strawberry plant. The ficus is probably my favorite. I got her at Trader Joe's and her name is Nora. Yes, I name my plants. I miss ballroom all the time, but I'm really loving the barre class that I attend on a regular basis.


MOTHERHOOD

There's too much to say about this, so I'll be brief. This has been a whirlwind of a first year of motherhood. There have been many ups and downs, but I am so glad to finally know what a mother's love feels like. Ya know that "heart so full it feels like it will burst" feeling that people talk about? It's very real, and I've never felt my heart so close to bursting than during those quiet moments at 2 AM when I held a tiny babe in my arms. She's not so tiny anymore, but this early toddlerhood stage is my favorite yet. I miss the newborn snuggles, but the great part of being a mom is that you find so many things to love about every stage. It's such an adventure.

- - - - - - - -

All in all...

Thanks, 2015. You've been a pretty good year. I've learned what I need to do to stay happy during long days at home, I've accepted my postpartum body, I've discovered LuLaRoe (clothing that makes my feel great about myself!) and I've learned more about myself, about Doug and Nicole, about my city, and about this crazy awesome thing in my life called the Gospel of Jesus Christ. A good year? Yep. Bring it on, 2016!

2014 Year in Review here
2013 Year in Review here

1 comment: